Mother nature has a unique way of keeping us on our toes. Storms can come up out of nowhere in and around Lincoln NE and create significant damage, so it’s important to be prepared. If you are hit by a storm, the aftermath can be devastating. Welter Construction is your storm damage restoration experts. We can fix your roof, siding, windows or gutters. Our estimates are always free and FAST. We’ll get your home back to its original condition as quickly as possible. We work directly with your insurance adjuster to make sure that no damage is overlooked.
This article provides tips from Homeland Security that can help you weather any storm.
Before a storm strikes…
- Stock Up on Food and Water: Different storms call for different responses. But tornadoes, blizzards, and hurricanes can all cause power outages, jeopardizing the safety of your food. Stock up on canned goods, other nonperishable food items, and bottled water.
- Know How to Report a Power Outage: Program emergency contact numbers into your cell phone, including your power company. Report a power outage as soon as possible and keep record of when you reported it.
- Secure Back-Up Housing: If you live in state prone to natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods, secure a plan for alternate lodging. Talk to relatives or friends in unaffected areas about temporary housing should a disaster strike.
- Fill the Gas Tank: If time permits, fill your gas tank. If you have more than one car, fill them all. You might need to travel to a safer location, and gas stations often shut down during blackouts.
- Charge Your Cell Phone: Make sure your cell phone has a full charge before bad weather arrives, and keep it topped off while you have electricity. Your cell phone might be the only communications device available during, and after, a storm. (“Homeland Security Blog”, 2012).
Must-Have Supplies During a Storm
- Batteries (all types)
- Manual can opener
- First-aid supplies
- Pet food and pet supplies, if needed
- Portable radio
- Backup heating supply (generator, space heater, fireplace)
If you have had storm damage and need help, give us a call (402)318-7965. Thanks for stopping by!
Homeland Security Blog. (2012, November 12). Retrieved March 17, 2019, from https://www.masterofhomelandsecurity.org/five-basic-steps-to-prepare-for-a-storm.html
(“Homeland Security Blog”, 2012).