Do your windows need to be replaced?
In and around Lincoln NE, the windows in your home can take a real beating. From the intense heat of the summer to the freezing cold winters, older windows are not energy efficient and may actually be costing you a lot of money. Here are five things to consider that will help you decide if you need to replace your windows.
- Single pane windows: If your house was built before 1970, there’s a good chance you have single pane windows. Today’s standard new windows are double or triple pane with insulation gas in between the panes. According to the National Association of Home Builders’ 2017 Home Buyer Preferences Report, 90% of potential homebuyers ranked energy-efficient windows in the top eight features they wanted in a home. Replacing your single pane windows today will not only save money on your energy bill year round but it’s an investment in the re-sale value of your home in years to come.
- Condensation: If you have double pane windows and notice condensation between the panes, it means your window seal is broken. When this happens, it usually means that all of the insulation gas has leaked out and most of the window’s ability to insulate is gone. Some of these windows can become foggy and difficult to see through. Condensation in your double pane windows means it’s time to replace them.
- Difficult to clean or open: If your windows don’t open or slide easily, it may be time to replace them. Older windows swell with humidity causing the window to stick and become difficult to operate. Forcing the window open could result in a broken window and/or possible injury. Many of the new styles of windows are not only easy to operate but have features that make them simple to clean—inside and out.
- Carpet and furniture has faded where the sun shines in your old windows: The sun does a nice job fading many things. One area in particular is interior carpet, furniture and paintings. Older windows do not have an efficient UV coating so fading will eventually occur. UV coating is commonly a standard feature on newer models of windows to prevent the sun from fading the valuable, personal possessions in your home.
- Low curb appeal: Replacing old windows is like giving your home a facelift! You’ll have the opportunity to increase the size and number of windows you have as well as increase the energy efficiency. New windows not only add to the re-sale value of your home but they increase the day-to-day enjoyment you’ll experience with the new look and feel of your home.
Whether you need to have new windows, doors, siding or a new roof, Welter Construction Nebraska can help. We’re your trusted contractor Serving Lincoln & Greater Nebraska. CLICK here for a FAST, FREE quote. Or call today at (531) 201-6090